Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Driving away from Boredom....

Last minute plans are always amusing...I felt it during this trip to Flagstaff, AZ. I did not plan much as I thought that this trip will be a short one, with in the state of Arizona. But it turned out to be a long one. I drove for almost 1000 miles(approx 1600kms) in my VW passat.

Arizona State. Tucson is just 60 miles from Mexico
Part A, B: Flagstaff: My starting point was in Tucson, a small city in South Arizona, where I stay. My journey started with my gastank full and few snacks from K-mart. I started towards Phoenix on I-10 and from there on I-17 to Flagstaff. As I moved on from an arid cactus filled desert to higher plains the weather changed dramatically. It became humid and cold. As I neared Flagstaff, it was already becoming dark ( in winters sunset is somewhere at 5:30pm).The streets looked like some picturesque village in Colorado. This was very different from what Arizona typically represents. I stayed in some hotel on historic route 66   (a culturally important route) .








Meteor Crater

Part C: Meteor Crater, Winslow, AZ: It is located about 30-40 miles East of Flagstaff on I-40. It is a meteor impact site created around 50,000 years ago. I had high expectations from this place and was grossly disappointed. It is basically as they claim, the best kept crater in the world. This site is created by a meteorite impact. It is a privately owned monument. Biggest drawback is that its $15 entry fee does not deliver up-to its expectations and is a typical tourist trap. They have a poorly managed museum and a gift shop. They also have a Subway outlet. The tour starts after every 1 hour. There is nothing much to see except for a big hole. The tour guide will tell you all the facts and figures which nobody will care for. Remember its ultimately just a crater! How much can a layman be entertained in 1hour? For a photographer like me it turned out to be a bad day as sky was cloudy! Damn! For more info visit: http://www.meteorcrater.com/

Shadows on the wall
Scenic Drive

Horse Shoe Bend
Part D: Horseshoe Bend, Page, AZ : After Meteor Crater, I headed for Horseshoe Bend. This place was really worth its efforts to drive that far. The drive is scenic. On the way you will come across the southern rim of the Grand Canyon National Park. Since I had already been there I had other places in my mind. I proceeded towards Page AZ. The landscape on the way is really breathtaking.  Roads are windy in some parts so have to be careful while driving. The roads are patched with Indians selling their handcrafts.The last part of the road near Page is really straight and steep. I drove at 120mph which is not at all recommended and is against the law. It is easy to miss the Horseshoe bend so set it on GPS before you travel. Once you reach there, there is a short hike towards the horseshoe-bend. Its not at all hectic. But be sure to carry your food stuffs as there are no shops or restrooms. Once you reach there view is breath taking. You can see the horseshoe bend clearly. Its a part of Colorado river. It takes a bit of effort to take photographs if you have an acrophobia. A wide angle lens would be great, preferably 8mm to 14mm. Best time for photography would be afternoon around noon when sun shines over both the horseshoe arms. You would be able to see the green colour of Colorado river.

Glen canyon bridge

Lake Powell
Jetty
Lake Powell, Page AZ: Just around 5 miles from Horseshoe bend lies Lake Powell. Its a part of Glen Canyon National Recreational Area. The lake is the backwater of Glen Canyon Dam. This lake covers two states Utah and Arizona. I had visited the Utah part while visiting Moab , UT ( Arches National park) . This place is good for recreational sports including fishing, boating and staying. There is a fully justifiable entry fee of $15 per car. You will be able to see three Chimneys bellowing out smoke. Overall this place is worth visiting. You can also bring along your own boats.
On The way to Sedona...
Red rocks
Christmas Celebrations

Small Shops

Part E: Sedona, AZ:
A picturesque drive if you take inner roads and not Interstate. Extremely winding roads even in winters road was green and rivers flowing. It is one of the best places to hike and camp. Please check the weather predictions before you camp. Sedona is about 30-40 miles from Flagstaff. It was luckily a bright day. The Mall road had quiet a good number of small shops making it very beautiful. You can rent a Jeep for rock climbing. Overall a very good place. It was really awesome drinking hot coffee overlooking mountains. From there about five miles we have Redrock loop, a fine drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksss